Ingredients and Instructions
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (or other oil)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, diced (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 teaspoons) or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (1 Tablespoon)
- 1 medium-large potato, unpeeled and cubed (2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans no-salt added crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- Cook couscous according to package directions, omitting butter/olive oil and salt if included.
- If directions are not available, bring water to boil in a saucepan. Stir in couscous and cover. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff couscous lightly with fork before serving.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, carrot, garlic and jalapeño to pan; sauté for 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in potato, and cumin, chili powder, turmeric, cinnamon, lemon juice, tomatoes, broth, and chickpeas. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Serve over couscous and top with a Tablespoon of yogurt.